Avoid Springtime Motorcycle Accidents
Spring is a wonderful time of year, usually providing the perfect weather for motorcyclists to enjoy a ride on their bikes. Just because the temperature warms up and the inclement weather ceases to threaten drivers on the highway does not mean motorcyclists should not be cautious. In fact, motorcycle accidents tend to increase in warmer weather, which is why it is important to continue to heed certain safety precautions.
- Check your bike. If it has been a few months since you have rode your bike, make sure it is still in good working order. Inspect its brakes and tires, and check if the gas in your tank has gone bad.
- Check your insurance. Some choose to turn off their insurance coverage during the winter months, expecting not to use it. When you eventually do get back on your bike, remember to call your insurance agent and turn your coverage back on.
- Be careful when it comes to left-hand turns. This is one of the most common causes of motorcycle accidents. Assume that the person driving toward you in oncoming traffic will make a left-hand turn in front of you.
- Do not speed or race through an intersection. This is another common cause of accidents, so exercise caution and never race.
- Watch out for cars coming out from side streets. If you are in the lane closest to a curb, it is crucial that you always remain aware of cars coming out of parking lots and side streets. Assume drivers cannot see you because, chances are, they may not.
The Rancho Santa Fe attorneys at LiMandri & Jonna LLP have helped victims of motorcycle accidents gather evidence, deal with insurance companies, recover damages for medical expenses and loss of income, and have successfully taken cases to trial when a settlement was not possible.
Call us today for a free case evaluation at (858) 247-3828.